Svetlova LLP

UK Police Registration

November 19th, 2020

Part 10 of the Immigration Rules requires foreign nationals over the age of 16 from specific countries to register with the police if their visa is issued for longer than six months. Those who are required to register, must go to the police within seven days of arriving in the UK or of obtaining their BRP cards.

You must register with the local police station in your area, and if you live in an area of London which is covered by the Metropolitan Police, you must register your details with the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO).

It is vital that you inform the police if any of the information recorded on your police registration certificate changes. This includes changes in name, address, nationality, employment and passport or identity card details. It is also imperative that the police registration certificate is updated after the issue of any new BRP card. Please note that the above-listed circumstances are not exhaustive.

Nationalities that usually need to register

Nationals of the following countries are usually required to register their details with the police: Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Yemen. (Please note that this list changes and is updated from time to time. It cannot therefore be regarded as exhaustive or accurate and you must check the up-to-date list at the relevant time).

You will not need to register if you have dual nationality with one of the listed countries and another country which is not on the list.

You may also need to register if you are stateless, or if you hold a non-national travel document.