EEA Residence Card

If you are a non EEA national and are in the UK with your EEA national family member, you can apply for an EEA Residence Card. Your EEA national family member must:

  • work;
  • be a jobseeker;
  • be self-employed;
  • study;
  • be self-sufficient; or
  • have a permanent right of residence in the UK.

If however you are outside the UK and want to join your EEA national family member you should apply for EEA Family Permit. Please note that If you have an EEA Family Permit, it is only valid for six months. After six months you should apply for an EEA Residence Card. EEA Residence Card is issued for 5 years.

You can apply for the EEA Residence Card if you are related to an EEA national as their:

  • spouse or civil partner;
  • child under 21 years old;
  • financially dependent child over 21 years old;
  • dependent parent or grandparent;
  • dependent extended family.

As per the EEA regulations a residence card is not mandatory to live in the UK, but it can:

  • help you re-enter the UK with ease;
  • show employers that you have the right to work in the UK;
  • make it easier for you to open and maintain bank accounts;
  • make it easier for you to get medical treatment;
  • make it easier for you to rent a house;
  • help you become a permanent resident in the UK after 5 years.

We will be happy to assist you with residence card applications. If you are considering applying for an EEA Residence Card, please contact Tatiana Svetlova